Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Thanksgiving

As we approach Thanksgiving, I offer some thanks for these experiences I (probably) would not have had were it not for Mission Year:
  • I’ll start with the obvious: I moved to Philadelphia and took up residence in a row house with six other people I didn't know.
  • Raised $10,000+! (If part of it came from you, then thanks!)
  • Volunteered over 250 hours.
  • Hand-washed laundry for the first time because I had waited a month and ran out of clean underwear.
  • Became an urban biker, turning my 30-minute (one-way) trolley ride into a 30-minute workout!
  • Fasted from technology for 8 weeks and simplified my use of technology thereafter. (Read more here.)
  • Tried water ice, a Philadelphia frozen treat.
  • Had the thought, “In this setting, I’m the only white man,” about once a day.
  • Went without a shower for three days for lack of heat or hot water on a cold winter weekend.
  • Wrote out a covenant with my teammates. (Read it here.)
  • Got a library card at the Free Library of Philadelphia…and paid $3.00 in overdue fines. That’s 5% of my monthly stipend!
  • Earned back one of those dollars by eating a whole onion, raw and covered in chocolate. (Don’t ask.)
  • Saw seven of my neighbors join my church, Grace Christian Fellowship. (Read more here.)
  • Developed enough cooking skills to look into the fridge and come up with a decently tasty dish with what I found there.
  • Worked through conflict with a teammate derived from a game of Monopoly.
  • Spent a day on the streets with new homeless friends. (Read more here.)
  • Embraced regular solitude, silence, and new prayer practices. (Read more here.)
  • Mastered SEPTA, or Southeast Pennsylvania Transportation Authority.
I am thankful for all of these experiences, and they are just the tip of the iceberg. They don’t begin to explain the spiritual experiences for which I am so much more grateful. It’s only been a couple of months, but I already have much for which to be thankful.

I am also thankful for you, who follow my blog and support these experiences and others through prayer, letters, financial gifts, phone calls, and other encouragement. Keep it coming, and offer a prayer of Thanksgiving for what the Lord is doing in Southwest Philly this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment