Thursday, May 15, 2014

Vignettes

As part of Mission Year, we have an hour each week devoted to "Curriculum," when we discuss a book that Mission Year asks all of us to read. We've read books about community development, race, theology of the oppressed, spiritual practices, even one of the gospels! The book we're reading now is called House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros, and it's a series of vignettes. To reflect on the book and our time in Mission Year, we wrote vignettes about our experiences. We're sharing them here for your enjoyment. Some resemble poetry more than a vignette and there's one song, but all reflect on our year.


Arrival

    It’s stuffy and sticky and sleepy in the back seat of the van. The darkness hides all but the whites of her eyes, surveying the new, unfamiliar landscape.
     There are tracks in the middle of the road and cars ride on top of the them with no trouble. What are the tracks for?
     I wonder how long our ride will be. Trips from the airport are always long--“Here we are!”--But not this one.
     “I can’t believe I’m doing this. I’m in the hood; I really can’t believe I’m doing this,” the eyes tell me out of the darkness. I don’t know if it’s an invitation to converse or just a statement. Actually I don’t know anyone or anything. I just get out of the van, into more darkness. Darkness.


Progressive Process

Pennies parting priceless places
Smiles on hurt hearts and broken faces
Who waged which war?
Opinions open onto oppression
Struggle is inevitable


Butter

     On a small street are tall skinny houses that looked as though they've been smashed together. In a house covered in crimson red bricks and a new cast iron gate is a tall fiery woman full of energy that fills her house.
     Her 4 children hold her firecracker personality, she with a heart of gold.
     She strives to offer them the best. After school they run, hide, squirm to get away but she manages to reign them in for more education.
     A small rectangular stick that brings life to any dish resembles her name, and is much like her personality.


The Trained Eye

To the naked, untrained eye
In and out, in and out
People come and go
Up the stairs, down the stairs
Through the door, out the door
In the house, out the house
Things get passed, side to side
In the car, out the car, under the car?
Black bags, rolled up newspapers
The trash pile near the corner of the stoop
Things unseen to the untrained eye
But I see, the smoke after the pick up


What Waits

And are you too blind to see
What waits on the other side

Stuck here held by chains
Like a voice without a name
You are waiting for change
As blame

Drowning in your shame
You turn it all to angst
Eating away your very soul
How you long to be whole

No matter to my words
You close your heart it hurts
I'm only here for a moment
Then I'm gone to the wind

My right hand offers hope
My left hand offers love
Quit drowning in this sea
Quit your dying null to peace

Chorus

Bridge
This my friend is what I see
You keep holding on to be
Let go of yourself my dear
A caged bird can't really sing

Chorus


Sharing Jesus


“Ice Cream!”


A shriek of joy pierces straight through the heavy humid air. The now familiar sound of tiny bells and chimes announcing the presence of the ice cream truck is quickly approaching. I scoop up a child sitting at the top of the stairs and gently place him on the sidewalk.


“You need anything Miss Bella? its gonna be fifty cents left when I get my sandwich.”
“nah, I’m good. Go on, before he leaves!”


I watch him run over and join all the other neighborhood kids at the ice cream truck. Its a weekend symphony that plays in the evening… over and over again the ice cream jingle accompanied by children laughing and shouting to get right up to the window.


My minds eye sees something different. I imagine that the man in the window is something similar to a modern day Jesus; welcoming the children with open arms, songs, and laughter. I imagine that each child that lifts up a dollar, or their spare change, is actually lifting up their hopes and dreams. Each one leaves with a beautiful blessing that suits them… even if its not what everyone else expected.


“Wait, is that a sandwhich?”
“kind of... its like a pretzel with cheese and stuff!
“You got that at the ice-cream truck?”
“yup!”


I laugh and shake my head in disbelief. Literally EVERYTHING comes from that truck! As the stoop of my home fills with kids enjoying their treats, my eyes wander to a child on the otherside of the street. He has no food in hand, no treat from the truck. His eyes catch mine… than he shakes his head and walks away. when he turns the corner, I find i'm not the only one observing him.

“You know him?”
“nah. i’ve seen him though”
“does he live here?”
“He doesn't belong here. He’s not a part of our community.”

I fall silent, mind turning.
I have what I need.
I’m good.


“shouldn't we all be apart of the community?”
“I guess some people don’t like to share.”


Smiles

I turn the corner
62nd and Reedland
Headphones in my ears and tired after a long day at work
I slowly take them out and my ears fill with new sounds—laughter, conversation, friendship.
I look to my right
     Hello Ms. Liz, Hello Ms. Eva, Hello Ms. Dee
Their smiles and eyes meet mine.
Casual conversation, standing on the porch, leaning on the rails.
Falling into familiarity and comfort
I excuse myself
Hello Aizhe, Hello Nina, Hello Jylen
Another stop, more smiles
Some faces and smiles I know, some are strangers though
Others friends.
I turn and see the trees
Home

1 comment:

  1. Preston I really enjoyed this. It's like seeing snippets of ordinary moments of life, but those moments say so much about who y'all are and what y'all are doing! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete