Tuesday, September 24, 2013

10 Word Poem

A lot of orientation for Mission Year has focused on identity and living communally across difference. In one recent activity, toward the end of orientation, we were instructed to write a poem that described us or expressed our identity. We could only use 10 words. There were no other expectations or parameters. Just ten words.

Usually I roll my eyes at activities like this, but I've learned over time that it's better to engage with them, even if they seem annoying. I put my pen to my paper and began to process some of the conversations and experiences I've had in the last two weeks, and really over the last four years, when I first really began to consider my identity and its implications for how I interact with society. I ended up liking my poem so much that I'm sharing it with you here! I especially like the simplicity of it.

Maybe later I'll unpack more what I was thinking as I wrote. For now, I'll just leave you with my ten words.

Redeemed white man
Called to reconcile
Finding a voice
Expectant

No comments:

Post a Comment