Monday, September 2, 2013

Disconnecting?


Most days when I’m between activities or have a few minutes of time to kill, I turn to my iPhone for entertainment or distraction. Often I will go to my New York Times app to review the latest headlines or read an article that seems interesting. Today I had a moment on the shuttle to do just that and discovered an article discussing a popular YouTube video which drew attention to the fact that human interaction, especially in my generation, is more and more dominated by the presence of 4-inch, hand-held screens such as the one from which I read the article.

Although I encourage you to read it yourself by following this link, it discusses the recent overwhelming tendency to document everything through different social media outlets: “People make dinner reservations on OpenTable; check in on Foursquare when they arrive at the restaurant; take a picture of their food to share on Instagram; post on Twitter a joke they hear during the meal; review the restaurant on Yelp; then, finally, coordinate a ride home using Uber.” But it also discusses pushback against such hyper-connectivity to technology. Some bands are forbidding concert-goers from recording their performances, and some restaurants no longer allow patrons to take pictures of their food. And the video that inspired the article shows dissatisfaction among friends of those recording live performances or posting pictures of food.

I found this article interesting because part of my Mission Year will include embracing a simpler lifestyle that doesn’t include such hyper-connectivity. In fact, I’ll be fasting from all use of technology for the first 7 weeks of my year! Some people ask, “By all technology, what do you mean?” And my response: “All technology.” That means facebook, computer, internet, texting, calling, cell phones, movies—everything. (Yes, I will have my cell phone to use in an emergency, but I won’t be constantly connected to it like I am right now.)

Why the technology fast? Several reasons. Technology can cause many distractions from face-to-face connections. In the MY handbook, it explains that, “Rather than dealing with the issues that you will face as a result of living in a new city and with a community, you will be tempted to ‘escape’ from the issues,” by turning to a movie, a game, or even a phone call to a friend outside of Mission Year. But removing those crutches will help me to remain present in the face of a difficult situation such as a conflict with a Mission Year teammate. 

We also fast from use of technology to be present with those in our new neighborhood, entering into a context that is not as heavily saturated with technology and social media, sometimes because of a lack of access to it. Again, removing those elements from my life will increase my capacity to be present and connect with my neighbors.

Some people can’t handle the idea of completely disconnecting. I must admit that I don’t fully know what to expect. I’m like most people in saying that I appreciate the idea of it, but I’m not sure how it will be to actually practice it. In truth, the principle of being present in my neighborhood means NOT being present with other people that I care about. It will be hard to limit my contact with my family and close friends who are normally just on the other side of a text message or phone call. I’ll even be limited in my ability to engage with friends living in Philadelphia who are NOT in Mission Year. In a way, I’m straddling a line between two worlds.

But the technology fast is not just about denying myself. Disconnecting from one world means connecting to another in new and more genuine ways. The life I have lived so far has not allowed me to connect with a neighborhood like Southwest Philly, and if I'm going to take seriously my charge to love God and love people in that neighborhood, then I need to be fully present and connected to it in every way that I can. I will miss the ability to check my New York Times app for interesting articles such as the one I stumbled upon today. But I think the activities and relationships that will replace it will make it more than worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment