Tuesday, July 15, 2014

I See

You see a cramped block.
I see a community.

You hear senseless rap, unnecessarily loud.
I hear self-expression.

You see a news story of a shooting.
I see a neighbor get shot.

You see wasteful spending.
I see a celebration.

You see black skin.
I see diversity: dark-skinned, light-skinned, and chocolate.

You see a drug dealer.
I see a man who built a business.

You see drug money.
I see the only capital investment in this neighborhood for decades.

You hear shouting and wailing, a disruption.
I hear worship.

You see a future athlete.
I see a black youth who loves to read, write, paint, and make bracelets.

You see a lazy black woman.
I see a tired but strong mother (and grandmother) with a degree and debilitating chronic pain.

You see another dangerous black man off the streets.
I see the latest victim of the prison industrial complex.

You see a culture of poverty.
I see an oppressive system.


I know what you see because I used to see the same things.

But I heard rumors of something different. So I moved to Southwest Philly.

Relationship--with a person, a place, an institution--changes things. It changed what I saw, heard, felt, thought. It confirmed the truth behind the rumors. There is something different.

Photo credit to Walter Levi Wawra.

No comments:

Post a Comment